Redwoods Treewalk Fact Sheet
- The Redwoods Treewalk is a 553-metre-long eco-tourism walk that consists of a series of 23 suspension bridges, traversing between 22 majestic Redwood Trees that are more than 115-years-old.
- The Redwoods Treewalk features a series of suspension bridges and living decks (platforms) and has been engineered around existing fauna and flora to capture the Redwoods in its natural untouched environment.
- The walkway stands elevated above the Redwood Forest at a peak height of 12-metres and at its lowest incline, 6-metres.
- The eco-tourism walk is the first of its kind due to its unique walkway construction, which uses ecological engineering to preserve the natural maturity of these 115-year-old giants and existing forest plants.
- The walkway is constructed using a technologically designed sling that is suspended from the redwood trees.
- At dusk, 30 David Trubridge designed lanterns and 40 colour spots and feature lights illuminate Redwoods Treewalk for a totally different and unique nocturnal experience. For further information, visit the Redwoods Nightlights page on our website.
- Redwoods Treewalk is the vision and dream of German-born and now Rotorua local, general manager Alex Schmid, who was inspired to develop an ecological treewalk after experiencing a strong spiritual connection with the forest when he visited with his wife in 2009.
- Alex’s vision was to provide a unique, one of a kind perspective of one of Rotorua’s most popular landmarks, the Redwoods Forest, so they can appreciate the stunning beauty and ambience of the forest from high above and up close to the 115-year-old giant trees.
- The 30-minute, 553-metre long ecological walk traverses between 22 majestic redwood trees and existing flora and fauna at up to 12-metres above the forest floor.
- After six years of development, backed by funding from private investors and with approval from local iwi and forest guardians, the Redwood Treewalk was officially opened on 19 December 2015.
The Redwoods Treewalk is located at Rotorua’s iconic Redwood Forest, Long Mile Road, Whakarewarewa, Rotorua, 3010.
(GPS Coordinates: 38°09’18.97″ S 176°16’32.92″ E)
Safety & Accessibility
Accessible for most age groups; anyone who can walk unaided can enjoy the Redwoods Treewalk – no prior training or safety harness is required. However, children cannot be carried at any stage along the walk, either in front or back carriers, in an adult’s arms or on shoulders.
Check out our Who Can Treewalk? page for further information.
- Visitors must be able to walk unaided.
- For safety reasons, children cannot be carried at any stage along the walk, either in front or back carriers, in an adult’s arms or on shoulders.
- Visitors must have a reasonable level of fitness to walk the entire 30-minute journey unaided.
- The Treewalk captures the peace, ambience and spirit of the Redwood Forest from a unique birds’ eye perspective.
- This spiritual walk offers a breathtaking birds’ eye perspective of Rotorua’s iconic Redwood Forest and overlooks the picturesque redwoods forest.
- The walkway has been constructed without damaging the Redwoods or the existing natural environment.
- This 30-minute ecological walk captures the natural beauty of the forest in an untouched way.
- Experience this one of a kind New Zealand eco-tourism walk and explore and learn about the history of the land (whenua), the people (iwi) and the 115-year-old Redwood Forest.
- This breath-taking walk will leave you feeling inspired, refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Able to be enjoyed in wet or fine weather, the Redwoods Treewalk is a perfect wet weather activity with the rain showcasing the ambience and colours of the forest.
Prices + Hours
- Check out our Prices + Hours page for the most up-to-date opening hours and price information. The only day we’re closed is Christmas Day (25th Dec) and for last minute changes look on our facebook page.
- Visit www.treewalk.co.nz or follow us on social media.
- You can also get in touch via the Contact Us page.